Monday, June 2, 2008

Bud Selig...


If it wasn't for the fact that you keep handing over World Series trophies to the Red Sox, I would probably have to hate you (in fact, someone else could give the Sox the trophy...I'm officially off Bud). If you think that as commissioner, you have done what you can to save baseball from the annals of sports shame with the steroid issue, you are wrong. We all know there are still guys out there that are finding a way to use PEDs. But I guess you have gotten a little sick of picking on the Really Big (read: Juiced Up) Boys, and decided to find someone of a little bit smaller stature to harass.

I understand the move regarding the Cape Cod League and requiring certain teams (Chatham A's, Hyannis Mets, etc.) to pay royalties to Major League Baseball for using the trademarked names (Colleges and High Schools tend to pay for using similar logos, so the CCL shouldn't get a break), but now you, Bud Selig, have gone too far.

As a little kid, I waited by my phone anxiously every Little League draft night for my coach to call and tell me what team I was on. Every year, I hoped that that year's Red Sox coach would draft me. I wanted to wear a Boston 'B' and play under that uniform. If I was on the Red Sox, I would be just like my heroes...John Valentin, Mike Greenwell, Mo Vaughn, Nomar Garciaparra...I never did get to play for the Red Sox. I was locked up as an Oriole for my extended time in the Majors, so I had to settle on pretending to be Cal Ripken Jr. (it could have been worse).

Little League baseball is now going in the same direction that some Sports Video Game franchises have gone...no illegal use of team names. Unless the leagues pay licensing fees, teams will have to settle for non-MLB team names or advertisements on their jerseys.

When I was 13 and made the jump to Babe Ruth League, my town made the decision to use our jerseys as billboards, allowing local companies to advertise by sponsoring a team. Gone were the days of imagining I was actually on the Baltimore Orioles, playing Shortstop as Cal Ripken Jr. made the move over to 3rd Base to make room for me. Now I was playing for "Savings Bank Life Insurance".

I had a hard time imagining Johnny Accountant moving out of the corner office and into the cubes to make room.

Here's the link to the story. If any more details comes out, I will certainly post them.



Some other links of note:

Kelsey Grammer suffered a mild heart attack after having symptoms following a morning of paddle boarding with his wife.

Have you heard about the MTV Movie Awards bit with the boys from Pineapple Express?
Take a look for yourself
If you were one of the 27 people to have watched this airing, what did you think?

For music fans, a sad day... Bo Diddley has passed away due to heart failure. He was 79.




That's a wrap. Don't forget to follow me on twitter for updates all the time.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, its Chris. I own www.warezpirates.blogspot.com.

THanks for the review!

YOur welcome to visit anytime.

Promote your website on your site and I will as well on mine.